Friday, June 6, 2008

A sweet cure to Spring allergies


If you’re like many of us, you get that little tickle in your nose this time of year, and then the aaachhhew…followed by a mad dash for a tissue, and a bright red nose (lovely). Yep, that’s me! And you know, I don’t have allergies severely enough to take medication everyday, which I’m thankful for. However, this leaves me vulnerable to a sudden and random onset of “episodes.” So, my brother told me that a friend of his told him you can cure pollen-related allergies by incorporating local honey into your diet! I’m sure there is some genius scientific explanation about the local bees pollinating and churning out magical honey. Regardless, my brother tried it, and said it works! I’m not a doctor or pharmacist, but I do love a good natural solution that tastes sweet and supports or local economy.

Some good ways to incorporate honey into your diet: eat it straight up, drizzle on bananas (ooh, and add a dash of cinnamon and spoonful of peanut butter…yum!), pour into tea…

We found local honey at Whole Foods, and I’m sure a number of other natural food stores and farmers markets will also have a fresh and local stash. Enjoy!

No comments: